About ECE

The University of Minnesota opened its doors in 1869 and graduated two students in 1873. In 1881 electric power came to the Twin Cities, and demand for the new “mysterious servant” soon outstripped supply. There was at the time no electrical engineering profession. There were professors of physics, mathematics, and of the older branches of engineering in colleges, and there were also skilled electricians. The University of Minnesota responded by offering a course in Electrical Engineering in 1888 and hiring George Shepardson three years later to head a department of Electrical Engineering.*